Ridge Lines, like several
other McKeesport bus companies, came about as the survivor to a street railway operation,
in this case the Port Vue Street Railway which connected the hilltop community of its name
with the West Penn Walnut Street line at the 15th Street Bridge.
The car line met its demise
in 1919. In 1922 Ben Rudberg was granted rights to operate between Port Vue and the
P&LE station in McKeesport via 5th, Rebecca and Washington, or roughly what
would become the 60U route in later years. The route was extended to the next community,
Liberty, in 1937. In 1944 Carl A. Boe purchased the firm from Rudberg. In 1952 a second
line was begun which roughly paralleled the defunct trolley operation.
The fleet, which
included some school buses, was housed in a garage in Port Vue. Operations also included
providing school service between the hilltop communities and McKeesport High School. The
Marmons were generally assigned this chore.
Ridge Lines was one of the better managed and respectable of the independent operators.