McCoy Brothers and
William Penn Motor Coach shared common ownership, although remained separate entities, at
the time of PAT acquisition so we are presenting both histories as one.
service between Renton and Turtle Creek came under the auspices of Byrum McCoy in 1921.
His brother Meade became a partner in 1927 and the name of the bus line became McCoy
Brothers. Routes were added to serve Renton, Unity, North Bessemer. Oakmont and Verona;
Pitcairn-Monroeville and East Pittsburgh-North Versailles. The latter two were soon
discontinued; service on the Verona route was greatly reduced due to lack of ridership.
The most successful route began in 1930 from East Pittsburgh to Churchill borough. It
was extended into Wilkinsburg six years later, and into Pittsburgh via Oakland in 1950.
Additional service was provided in the growing Monroeville area in 1955, including the
The final roster showed two routes and 14 buses including GMs, Fitzjohns and Beavers.
Another newcomer to the transit area was Wilmer Cline, who formed William Penn Motor
Coach in 1952 to connect Delmont, Monroeville and Pittsburgh via Route 22 and/or the back
roads in and around Murrysville. He sold the operation to B. H. McCoy in 1954 and although
there was some swapping of equipment, the two firms remained legally separate.
At the end, service over the lone route was provided by three ex-McCoy GMs.